00
00

Specifications

New ceiling mouldings, cornices and architraves, all conforming to the mastercraftmanship required of the Grade II* listing were reinstated throughout the principal rooms

-

Features include gilded golf leaf ceiling cornices and mouldings and custom made chandeliers

-

New passenger lift and lift shaft were installed in the house

-

New under floor heating, comfort cooling, home entertainment and security systems added

-

New winter garden with a sliding glass roof, allowing al fresco entertaining and forming a luxurious space enclosed in glazing ideal for year around use

-

Mews house converted to provide a four car garage with staff quarters above including bedrooms, living space and kitchen/dining facilities

Specifications

Main house completely reconfigured to create luxurious residential living spaces

-

Magnificent first floor double reception room with 12 feet (3.7 metres) high ceiling, opening onto terrace and balcony

-

New bespoke family kitchen with mother of pearl detailing and platinum cornicing

-

Formal dining room in style of Robert Adam with hand-gilded ceiling

-

Master bedroom suite

-

VIP bedroom suites and bathrooms: created where previously there had been offices

-

New custom-made wine cellar was constructed beneath the main staircase

-

New private roof terrace created at first floor level

Specifications

Earlcrown excavated beneath the property to a depth of 23 feet (7 metres) in order to create a multi-level basement complex

-

Creation of a luxurious gold leaf tiled 41 feet (12.5 metres) swimming pool with gold panelled and coffered ceiling, spa facility, wet bar, Jacuzzi, private gymnasium, steam room and sauna, beauty/treatment suite and changing rooms

-

Private cinema room with white quartz flooring, polished finishes and mirrors

PROVENANCE

From October 1940 the property became the headquarters of the Belgian Government-in-Exile lead by Prime Minister Hubert Pierlot. During this critical wartime period, the Belgian government held regular cabinet meetings in the mansion and planned secret missions to the continent from its various rooms.

Famous visitors to the headquarters included Winston Churchill, Field Marshall Montgomery and General Eisenhower and it was from the property that the role of the free Belgian armed forces in the 1944 D-Day landings were meticulously planned.

Post-war the mansion continued to serve as the Belgian Embassy up until 2000 when the diplomatic mission relocated to 17 Grosvenor Crescent.

provenance

Built in circa 1827 by architect Thomas Cubitt the Grade II* listed Regency mansion at 105 Eaton Square has a unique and highly interesting history which includes a key strategic role during World War Two. The house originally served as the London home for a series of affluent families for over 90 years.

In the early 1900s the then Belgian Ambassador attended a dinner party at the mansion and was extremely impressed with the spacious proportions of the house. When the property came up for sale in 1920, it was acquired by the Belgian Government and became the Belgian Embassy, a base for grand diplomatic receptions and government diplomacy at the highest levels.


illustrious history
in belgravia

Earlcrown undertook a major construction project in order to return a historic Grade II* listed mansion at Eaton Square to private residential use and create a magnificent new 21st century home. It comprised a 10,700 sqft (994 sqm) main Regency mansion complete with separate mews house and terraced gardens.